When I first saw the Rainbow Doodle cake on Sweetapolita’s blog, I was awestruck. I kept staring at the photos of the cake and wondered if I could ever do something remotely resembling that. Then I proceeded to Whisk Kid’s blog where Sweetapolita saw the cake and her daughter fell in love with it. One fine day, my Sister-in-Law suggested that I bake her daughter’s birthday cake. As if I was just waiting to be asked , I agreed to the suggestion immediately. And what a perfect occasion to try the Rainbow Cake. I was apprehensive initially but then decided to go ahead.
UPDATE : For the basic sponge cake(eggless) – The recipe given below is for one layer only. Since I dont have a weighing scale and I have a microwave cum convection oven , I baked 6 cakes using different colours for the rainbow cake.
Recipe Source : cookcurrynook
1/2 cup All purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/6 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/6 cup olive oil or any vegetable oil
8-10 drops of food colouring – Red, Blue, Green, Yellow , Orange and for Purple you can mix Red & Blue together
For the buttercream frosting:
Recipe Source: Australian Women Weekly’s Baking Favourites
450 gms butter
5 cups of icing sugar
2- 3 teaspoons of vanilla essence
6 tablespoons of Milk
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease a 6″ round baking pan
2. Mix sugar and yoghurt in a bowl until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add baking powder and baking soda. Mix it gently. Keep aside for 3 minutes
3. In the meantime, sift the flour thrice. Keep aside.
4. The yoghurt mixture would be airy and full of bubbles by now. Add the oil and vanilla essence to the mixture and mix gently.
5. Add the flour and gently fold it into the yoghurt mixture.
6. Add the food colour.
6. Pour the mixture into the greased pan and bake for 10 mts at 200C . Once reduce reduce the temperature to 180 C and bake further for 10 more minutes. By this time your kitchen will be filled with the vanilla aroma wafting from the oven.
7. Once done , cool for 15 mts and invert it onto a wire rack for further cooling.
For the frosting:
(Will be ideal if using a electric mixer, since I dont have one, I did the whisking process by hand)
1. Whisk the butter so vanilla essence so that the butter becomes as white as possible. You will get a creamy colour here since you have also added vanilla essence.
2. Add the sugar milk in three batches.
For assembling the cake:
1. On a cake board, spread a little of the frosting before placing a layer of the cake so that it doesnt move
2. Start with the purple coloured and alternate with the frosting and the coloured cakes in the order as they appear in the rainbow.
3. Finally do a crumb coating of the cake and place it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and finish with a final coat of frosting.
This cake was well received in the birthday party and the birthday loved the colourful surprise once the cake was cut.