What do you do when you have had payasams(kheers) and sadya(feast) for 3 continuous days? The fourth day you will automatically go in for some comfort food. Right? And what if you are in no mood to cook either? This quick fix Lemon Rasam with rice and potato roast satisfies both the condition. Light and comforting and super quick to make. This is not an authentic version of Lemon Rasam but works fine for me whenever I make it.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
2 big or 4 medium tomatoes
2 green chillies ( long ones) or 3 of medium length
a generous pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
4 tablespoons of boiled and mashed toor dal
juice of half a big lemon or one small lemon
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon ghee
1. Quarter the tomatoes and further slice each quarter into two slices. Cut each slice into two.
2. In a vessel, add water till the tomatoes are immersed and add turmeric powder , asafoetida , salt and green chillies.
3. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are cooked.
4. Add the mashed toor dal. Add water to get right consistency, if required
5. Heat the ghee in tadka pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter add the curry leaves and remove from heat.
6. Add this to rasam.
7. Add the lemon juice after 10 mts or just before serving.
Remember, do not reheat this rasam on stovetop after adding lemon juice, do it in a microwave instead.
Couple this alongwith potato roast from Srivalli’s blog, your comfort food is ready in a jiffy.